Tuesday, March 17, 2009

One Thousand Dollars

Somehow my PARENTS in Northern California got the letter from the Los Angeles Police Department about my "unsafe left turn" ticket.

Fine. Send it to me. Right?

No. Of course my dad opens it (rips it open) and reads it. They proceed to call me and tell me that this little mistake of mine is going to cost me upwards of a thousand dollars. I am shocked. There is NO way I can afford a thousand dollar ticket. Okay, I reason, they will take some off when I show them I DO actually have insurance. Then my dad proceeds to nag me about how irresponsible I am. I proceed to tell him that its none of his business. That's when the fight begins.

First of all let me explain that I have been completely financially independent for almost three years. Meaning, I have been out of college and paying my own rent etc for three years. How dare he tell me that I am not doing a good job taking care of myself?? Most of my girlfriends from high school and college are still getting SOME help from their parents. (Many of whom I have somehow ceased to relate, I must admit.)

How dare they open my mail? What the hell? They do nothing but tell me that acting is a ridiculous profession and that I am "stupid" for moving to New York. Not ONCE have they said ANYTHING positive about how I am living my life.

This all might have been less of a big deal if there wasn't a thousand dollars involved. How am I going to move to New York with this kind of drag on my budget? No. I'm not going there. Actually I am going to fight this ticket, because I am a big girl even though my parents refuse to see it.

I know how to fight my own battles.

3 comments:

  1. Good for you for standing up to this ticket issue. And I am sure that even if your parents aren't being supportive you have plenty of other people who are! I don't know you but I do, so go get that dream of yours (moving) and don't let anything stand in your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frankly, I don't remember being unsupportive. Not that you will ever read this anyway. Your thousand dollar ticket and your car and your insurance and your this and that. You forget. What would your father do?

    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Further, I have always been supportive of your adventures, of your move to New York, of your seven years in LA. I have been your complete fan. Your fan club. The Emma fan club. Hoo Haa!
    Oh Emma
    How we Love thee
    Please show us
    how to climb a tree
    Please pursue your dreams
    In LA
    In NY
    In London, Paris, Tahiti
    We'll be there behind you
    If you fall, (but you won't)
    or care to. (but you won't)
    Dad

    ReplyDelete